Get yourself a copy of '365 - Great Stories From History For Every Day Of The Year' written by W.B.Marsh and Bruce Carrick, Icon Books, 2004.
Take 5-10 minutes each day to outline a historical event that happened on that particular day
EXAMPLE: For today's date (13th April) this book tells me
- today is the birthday of Thomas Jefferson in 1743
- Henry IV of France issued the Edict of Nantes in 1598
- the first Tzar of Russia, Boris Godunov, died in 1605
- Louis XIV used the phrase "L'Etat, c'est moi" in 1655
- the British Parliament passed the Catholic Emancipation Act in 1829